Promise helps utilities and government agencies create flexible and affordable solutions for customers struggling to pay off their debt. Our intuitive approach to payment plans and relief distribution leads to increased customer enrollment and a 95%+ recovery rate on scheduled payments. As a result, customers pay off debt sooner and with fewer penalties, and our partners reduce delinquencies and increase revenue.
The Promise team strives to treat people who are struggling with dignity and provide them with the tools and resources they need to succeed. Our expertise spans sectors: we are technology experts from companies like Google, Stripe, and Palantir, as well as accomplished government leaders. We have raised over $20 million, and we’re backed by leading investors such as First Round Capital, Kapor Capital, and Y-Combinator.
At Promise, we are on a mission to help millions of people with their government debt. We are looking for a seasoned Design Lead who can drive both strategy and execution and own every step of the design process from start to finish.
We have a high-performing product that’s impacting the lives of thousands of people – yet there’s a lot of room for growth and development. We take pride in delivering a high-end experience to underserved communities and helping people in stressful moments of their lives, and are looking for someone who shares this passion.
If you gravitate towards complex problems and enjoy fast-paced environments, collaboration, and rapid iterations — come join us.
What You’ll Do:
- You will start as a team of one but be expected to build and lead the Design team as we grow.
- You’ll join a product team and own design throughout the product development lifecycle — from discovery and research all the way to detailed interactions and polished visuals.
- You will partner with Engineers, Data Scientists, PMs, and CX to elevate the product experience for our individual clients (B2C), government agencies (B2B), and Promise internal teams (Operations and CS).
- You’ll work closely with a marketing agency and internal stakeholders to define and boost the Promise brand across different audiences and verticals.
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- You have 5+ years of experience in Product Design, and have shipped products that solve real problems and that people use and enjoy. (And a portfolio to showcase it.)
- You genuinely care about people and are obsessed with creating the best possible experience for any audience.
- You enjoy combining strategy work and problem-solving with getting in the weeds and delivering hi-def mocks and design assets.
- You have strong visual design skills.
- You have strong communication skills, which are critical to helping people across the company understand the rationale behind your proposals and the complex nuances of design problems.
- You are a motivated self-starter who can deeply collaborate with other disciplines and manage stakeholders.
- You are curious, eager to learn, and very agile. You know the difference between design process theory and real life. You are comfortable breaking and reinventing the rules, but you also know when it is time to stick to them.
- You have a growth mindset, a balanced sense of optimism and humility, a willingness to own problems, and a desire to make things better.
- Experience with payments or government is a plus.
- Startup experience is a plus.
- Experience with communication or marketing design is a plus.