Promise modernizes and humanizes government payments. We are a comprehensive payments platform that increases revenue and efficiency for government agencies. We help residents navigate payments with dignity and ease to avoid the negative consequences of non-payment. Promise’s win-win services strengthen the bond between government agencies and the communities that they serve.
The Head of Talent will be a critical member of the company’s executive team. This hands-on leader will serve as the internal subject matter expert on all things People & Talent, and will need to be both highly strategic and enthusiastic about getting their hands dirty. They will lead and execute all aspects of the function including but not limited to: talent acquisition, people operations, performance management, compensation and benefits, policies and procedures, diversity and inclusion, and culture. They will operate in the delicate position of representing both the staff’s interests and desires and the goals of the business. A great Head of Talent will be able to move between both worlds in an authentic and highly professional manner.
- Manage the full talent acquisition lifecycle, from designing and driving acquisition strategies to running a comprehensive and swift interview process to executing a smooth and effective onboarding experience
- Administer payroll and benefits; be the primary point of contact for our PEO (TriNet)
- Design and execute employee perks outside of the primary benefit set, e.g. mental health stipends, home office stipends, bonus days off, and other ‘surprise’ benefits at the discretion of the CEO
- Design and implement people policies taking into consideration any federal, state, or local laws, e.g. PTO, parental leave
- Build and continuously improve workflows to ensure that onboarding, role transitions, life events, and offboarding are executed in an efficient, scalable, and highly professional manner
- Manage any required or suggested staff trainings or communications
- Administer and recommend upgrades / additions to HR tools and vendors, e.g. PEO, ATS, time-tracking tools for hourly employees, etc.
- Perform difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, RIFs, refereeing disputes, firing employees, and administering disciplinary procedures. Represent organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, suggestions, and helping resolve work-related problems
- Own performance strategy and execution: run performance review cycles and work with team leads to recommend and execute role, org, and comp changes
- Be a culture leader and steward across the organization. Develop creative solutions to unify and maintain a culture among dispersed employee groups as the company continues to grow
- Foster an ongoing culture of diversity by continually looking for ways to discover and engage with existing and future talent from underrepresented backgrounds to drive the company values forward
- Plan and execute quarterly All Team retreats
- Prior experience scaling teams in a fast-paced startup environment
- Proven track record of success developing innovative and forward-thinking talent strategies and processes to exponentially grow headcount
- Strong background in recruitment, talent acquisition, and retention. Proven experience recognizing and closing top-tier talent
- Deep familiarity with VC-backed tech and its roles, trends, pitfalls, etc.
You’re a Great Fit for the Role if You Are:
- An excellent communicator, both written and verbal. You’re articulate and can get to the point quickly but kindly.
- Coming from a similar role in recruiting or people operations.
- Someone who thrives on new challenges – we are always changing and you’re up for the ride.
- A good team player who people like working with.
- Humble and approachable with the team; capable of representing them with leadership; savvy and experienced enough to know which battles to let go.
- An expert multitasker: you can triage in the moment, juggling a wide variety of things that need to be fixed or built. You can quickly sort out priorities from noise.
- Empathetic, discreet, and possessed of a strong work ethic.
- Excited about our mission: You think that improving the way governments interact with their constituents is critical. You want to prove that moving away from punitive approaches to non-payment and treating people with dignity can be a win for everyone.